Valentine’s Day Facts
– Over 180 million Valentine’s Day cards will be exchanged
– over 37 million heart-shaped boxes of chocolate will be given.
– Valentine’s Day is the fourth largest holiday of the year for flower sales behind Christmas/Chanukah, Mother’s Day and Easter/Passover.
– 80% of Americans will purchase flowers for Valentine’s Day.
– Candy sales for Valentine’s Day are expected to top $1 billion.
– Valentine’s Day is the second busiest holiday for greeting card sales behind Christmas.
– Valentine’s Day is the third most popular evening for dining out behind yearly birthdays and Mother’s Day
Adopt A Sloth For VDay: CBS claims the St Louis Zoo is allowing people to adopt sloths for Valentine’s Day. The money will go towards the feeding and caring of these animals at the zoo. People can also adopt black rhinos, grizzly bears and lemurs.
A study by New York’s Rochester University reveals that watching romantic comedies can save relationships. Couples that watch five rom-com’s a month and talk about them double their chances of staying together.
Researcher Ronald Rogge tells the Sunday World, “Chatting about your favorite chick flick with your partner is just as effective as therapy. The results suggest that husbands and wives have a pretty good sense of what they might doing right and wrong in their relationships. Thus you might not need to teach them a whole of skills to cut the divorce rate. You might not be able to get your husband into a couples group. But watching a movie together and having a discussion, that’s not so scary.”
Restaurant Bans Phones On Valentine’s Day: Metro UK claims an upscale London restaurant named Zizzi has banned smartphones on Valentine’s Day. The Italian restaurant instituted the ban after a new survey revealed that 60% of people dislike it when their date looks at their phone during a romantic dinner. Each table at Zizzi will have a square, plexiglass case which diners will place their smartphones in during their meal.
Nike Releasing Broken Heart Sneakers For Valentine’s Day: Sole Collector claims Nike is releasing a special edition Valentine’s Day sneaker for women. Each of the white sneakers have half a broken heart on the back of them. When a person puts their feet together, the hearts become one.